We usually only eat at the table, but a bowl of grapes was accidentally left unattended in the living room. I came around the corner to find Ruby with her little face in the bowl, but I couldn’t tell if she had eaten any since she didn’t have any in her mouth at the time. Still, my heart sunk, knowing it was possible that she had eaten some.
Luckily, I knew grapes could cause a serious problem, even death, for dogs. And luckily, I had a magnet on our fridge with the number to the emergency vet clinic in the Twin Cities, Affiliated Emergency Veterinary Service. I called right away and they confirmed grapes were very dangerous and we should try to get Ruby to vomit as soon as possible. It turns out that even a few grapes can cause some dogs to go into kidney failure. We tried an at-home option of using hydrogen peroxide, but unfortunately it didn’t work. So Jason took Ruby to the emergency pet hospital.
Many people are afraid to use EpiPens in an emergency because they have needles. But the fact is that EpiPens are super easy to use. They are called auto-injectors because they already have the medicine in them and you basically just need to point and push to give the medicine. No measuring medicine or dealing with syringes.
My daughter has severe food allergies and carries two EpiPens with her on a belt whenever she leaves the house. I make sure to train anyone who will be watching her on how to use the EpiPens in case of a food allergy reaction.
Last night we were using expired EpiPens to practice as a family and reacquaint ourselves with what it’s like to give an EpiPen injection. I also wanted to make sure everyone understood the new FDA instructions to hold the EpiPen for only three seconds. My daughter wanted to demonstrate for all of you how easy it is.
Love this so much. People are people and we need to embrace everyone and show compassion – no matter their size, gender, color, religion, etc.
There is really big news for anyone who carries EpiPens, or spends time with someone who carries an EpiPen or EpiPen Jr.
Mylan reached out to me as a blogger via email to help get the word out. For those of you who like to double and triple-check your sources, you can also find this information on the FDA website and FARE just published an update as well: Updates to Instructions for Epinephrine Auto Injectors.
WHAT ARE THE NEW PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS?
The EpiPen device has NOT changed, but the instructions on how to use EpiPens have changed. I’ve highlighted changes in the image here (quick and easy way to see what’s new). Below are more details provided by Mylan (the pharma company which markets and distributes the EpiPen):
1. Hold patient’s leg and limit movement during administration
Lacerations, bent needles and embedded needles have been reported when epinephrine has been injected into the thigh of young children who are uncooperative and kick or move during an injection. In order to minimize the risk of injection-related injury when administering the epinephrine injection to young children, caregivers are advised to hold the child’s leg firmly in place and limit movement prior to and during injection.
Some of you may remember when I first talked about the new Veta Smart Case for EpiPens.
It’s an exciting idea – a smart case that can alert you if you or your child ever forgets their life-saving medication, or if it gets too hot or cold, or if they open it and you need to rush into action.
I had the opportunity to meet the people behind Veta at the Food Allergy Blogger Conference and asked them to give me a demonstration so I could share it all with you.