I’m excited to announce today marks my 100th post since beginning this blog in May of 2007. I’d like to take a moment to thank you for reading my blog. I’ve really enjoyed writing here, and I love interacting with you via e-mails and comments. Many of you are friends from before I started blogging, but I’ve also met quite a few new friends and fellow bloggers and I’m so grateful!
I’ve heard that many bloggers commemorate their 100th post by sharing 100 things about themselves. I’ll give it a shot!
1. I’m a 30-something wife and mother.
3. I close my mouth when applying mascara; most women keep their mouths open. Try it.
4. I hate switching bags to coordinate with my clothes, so I only wear things that look good with black… which means bright colors, and um, black. (no more brown or navy). Makes shopping easier, too.
5. My mom was inspired to name me “Melissa” by Melissa Gilbert on Little House on the Prairie. (but I am not named after her…)
6. I’m glad she never called me half-pint.
7. I had red hair when I was born. (My dad has red hair, too)
8. I have three younger sisters and a younger brother.
9. I’m the oldest of 14 grandchildren on my mother’s side of the family.
10. I have a tattoo of a lizard on my left ankle.
11. I used to donate blood a lot and became a “gallon donor”. I have a pin to prove it.
12. I quit donating blood because I started passing out afterwards and it became a PITA.
13. My favorite band is still the Indigo Girls. I took this picture when they performed at the MN Zoo amphitheatre in 2006.
14. I hate politics but married a politician.
15. I’m allergic to many things – environmental allergies, like pollen, dust, perfume, cats, dogs, hamsters, basically anything with hair. Except humans. Unless they are wearing perfume or scented lotion. Then I am.
18. Purple is my favorite color.
19. I love playing with little kids, which is good, since I have two of them.
20. I never wear skirts or dresses anymore. I gave them up around 2001 and never looked back. (I hate nylons. And shaving.)
21. I refuse to wear uncomfortable shoes. Period. But they have to be cute!
22. I had a microdiscectomy surgery on a herniated disc in my lower back in 2005.
23. I don’t like it when people tell me what to do.
24. I am, however, great at delegating.
25. My travel furthest away from home include Hawaii, Alaska, Ireland, Spain and Mexico.
26. I’ve traveled to a number of great places on business and have barely left my hotel room. California, Arizona, Atlanta, Florida, Texas, Maryland, Chicago, New York, Vegas… what a shame.
27. I’ve always loved the name Alex and would have given that name to my first born even if he was a she.
28. Some people call me “little Missy” and it makes me cringe.
29. By the age of 12 I had a bigger bra size than my mom. I was embarrassed when she pointed that out to a neighbor lady one day. ugh.
30. I can’t drink straight coffee anymore. I drank my lifetime quota in college to help me study. Now it gives me stomach cramps.
32. Most of my caffeine intake is from Diet Coke.
33. I am a feminist. My philosophy is that women are equal to men (but not better than them. Well, sometimes we are). Most importantly, I just want to bring home the same amount of $$$ that men do.
34. I took piano lessons as a child, but only for 2-3 years. I can still read sheet music and play a few very simple songs…
35. Technology and computers are pretty easy for me to figure out. I enjoy learning new software programs.
36. One of the things I like best about Marketing as a career is that I focus on the best qualities of something and make it look pretty.
37. I’m a very light sleeper. I wear ear plugs and a light-blocking eye-mask.
38. I love getting flowers, but only for good occasions. (not funerals, and not if you are sorry about something).
39. I really enjoy making up songs and stories for my 2 year old son. Our latest is about his stuffed animal “Chi Chi the Monkey”.
41. In high school I was a hockey cheerleader. yup, you read that right. And yes, I had to wear ice skates. No, you won’t be seeing a picture.
42. For one semester I was president of my high school’s environmental club. This was before being “green” was cool. I helped start the paper recycling program….
43. I started smoking when I was 15 and got really hooked when I was 16.
44. I never had problems buying cigarettes underage – and I didn’t have a fake ID.
45. I rarely had trouble buying alcohol underage – I did have a fake ID (when I was 18+)
46. I quit smoking 4 years ago this month.
47. I quit drinking 11 years ago this month.
48. I never plan to quit caffeine.
49. I once tried to quit carbs. I got really skinny. Now I eat them again and I’m not skinny.
50. I love sea salt. It is so much tastier than iodized table salt. I eat more salt now because of it. I have this set of salt and pepper grinders from Crate and Barrel and love them.
51. I’ve had a AAA membership since I got my first car and I’ve definitely gotten my moneys worth. They are on my speed dial. I’ve called them 2 times this winter!
52. I have two children, a boy and a girl.
53. I won’t be having any more.
54. I really like camping, except for sleeping outside, not having showers, and my horrible allergies. I usually go home early.
55. I’m very tempted to buy things when I watch infomercials. It takes a lot of willpower not to buy whatever they are selling.
56. Once I bought a hair-waxing product called Nads from an infomercial. They said it wouldn’t hurt. It hurt like hell. I was too ashamed to return it.
57. I bought something else from an infomercial once, but I can’t remember what. This time I wasn’t ashamed and did return it.
58. In general, I don’t like reading memoirs or other “true stories” because they are usually very depressing and I’ve had my own depressing past, thank you very much.
59. I’m a good driver, unless I have passengers in the car. Then I talk too much and drive like an idiot because I’m distracted.
65. My birthday, wedding anniversary and Mother’s Day all fall in the same week.
66. I kind of felt ripped off in the gift department…
67. Until I gave birth to my daughter, Avery, on Christmas Day.
68. I will never complain about that again.
69. I make a kick-ass lasagna. (here’s the recipe)
70. I admire Oprah and think she’s had a positive significant impact on our world.
71. I also think she has too much power and money for one person! I’m happy she uses some of it to help others.
72. When I find new products I like, I get excited to tell people about them.
73. I can type really fast.
74. I hate shopping for clothes.
75. I love shopping for books.
76. My favorite time to shop for books is at the airport, right before getting on a plane.
77. I also make sure I buy a bottle of water, some trail mix and some of those candy “peach rings”.
79. I love using new/cool fonts, within moderation. It’s not a good idea too get crazy with fonts, but it is fun. My favorite site for free fonts is FontFreak.
80. I make decisions quickly and usually don’t regret them.
81. I’m typically too serious with other adults, but silly as a preschooler with little kids.
82. I love Greek, Mexican and Italian food.
83. I love going to hockey games. So much fun!
84. We’ve only been to one game since we had our first baby. I have no idea who the players are anymore!
85. I really like Pottery Barn and love getting the catalogs. I really, really like Pottery Barn Kids.
86. If we could afford to live without my income, I would definitely be a stay-at-home Mom. Maybe someday!
87. I wear the same pair of earrings all the time. (Diamond studs)
88. It’s a family tradition for the women to wear diamonds as their everyday earrings – my grandmother started it – all 4 of her daughters do it, and many of the grandchildren.
89. I’ve always thought it would be cool to be a radio talk show host.
90. … or an advice columnist.
91. Having a blog is kind of like that – I get to say what I want and give unsolicited advice – well, more like recommendations.
92. I have blue eyes.
93. I’m a little sad that my children won’t have blue eyes (because brown is dominant).
94. I only like to write with pens with black ink. Blue ink annoys me.
95. My favorite pen to write with is a Sensa pen. The place where your fingers rest is made of gel and is very comfortable. I have this one in a steel purple color. It’s awesome.
97. Speaking of Grey’s Anatomy, this is the main reason I love that show. McDreamy.
99. I married a morning person.
100. It was more difficult than I expected to come up with 100 things about myself!
I wonder how many people are actually going to read this entire list. If you made it to the end, please post a comment and let me know! Thanks for reading!
Leave a Reply